Saturday, July 10, 2010

July Is the Cruelest Month

For some reason known only to God and/or the universe, the creation of this blog coincided with the death of several pets.

Several of the fish in my 60L tank died in rapid succession this week, including two forktail rainbowfish and one of my cory cats. After the "plague" hit, one of my neon tetras turned gray and swelled up, balloon-like. I've isolated it in a hospital tank but I'm afraid the whole lot of fish have gotten so-called "neon tetra disease" or something similar.  Their shrimp tankmates seem unaffected.

Besides the fish casualties, one of the Roborovskii hamsters my girlfriend was raising -- a female -- died of something that looked like "wet tail," but the amount of information about "Robo hamsters" and their diseases are pretty sparse even on today's Wikipediafied Internets.  We're observing the male to see if he stays healthy, but he seems pretty down without his girlfriend to play with.

No comments:

Post a Comment